This blog has moved! Click here for the new blog.

Sunday, January 20, 2013

I Can't Get Enough

This is the outfit I have been living in since I made this cropped Briar back in December. At first I was a bit scared of the high front, so I googled some images on how to wear a cropped sweater. And then I realized I had the perfect fabric, and the perfect shirt to go with it. And it turned out exactly as I had imagined!




I love how the briar hem and the shirt hem form this oval shape. I made this right after my first Briar, in just 3 hours including cutting. It hardly uses up any fabric, too. I cut out size S again, with 3/4 sleeves. I heightened the neckline 2 cm, but I think 1 cm would have been enough. I could still redo it, the neckline has come loose a bit so I need to redo it anyway. I didn't use my serger on this one. I want to get better at sewing with knits, even without a serger. But I don't know, although I've improved on keeping the stretch the neckline seam still snapped. I've noticed that Megan Nielsen's instructions do not include stitching the neckline down, while Sewaholic's do. I never do that in fear of wobbly stretchy fabric anyway. But I'm busy acquiring a walking foot so I hope that'll open up some new possibilities.




It makes me want to make more cropped tops and also more shirts like this. The blurry pics and horrible overcast winter weather don't do it justice! The Briar looks like a very simple pattern, but with the various length and sleeve variations it's possible to create quite different styles. I'm betting this won't be my last Briar!

9 comments:

  1. That's a smashing look! Very striking. :D and the bright pants are perfect with it.

    I have come to adore a sewing machine with adjustable presser foot tension if topstitching knits. Less (although not always zero) rippling. Not helpful if your machine doesn't have it, I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But it does! Should use it more apparently :)

      Delete
  2. Hi,
    I found you via burdastyle.com and just love your cropped sweater! The hole outfit looks so good on you!
    Greetings,
    Teal

    http://seaofteal.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your version! also the way your pants + briar + wallpaper play so nicely together :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is great! totally inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, this is a really cool version of the Briar pattern! Loving it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this outfit! The top is great! A walking foot is amazing for top stitching knits. Before I had one, I would top stitch with a piece of tissue paper underneath (between fabric and feed dogs). The tissue helps the fabric move through at a steady pace and not stretch. When you're done stitching, just (carefully) rip off the paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea! I'll definitely try this next time.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, whether it's positive or constructive critisicm! If you're commenting on an old post I'll have to moderate it, so don't worry if it doesn't immediately show. Thanks!